Saturday 10 November 2012

The Druid Challenge - 56 miles


What a day! The shortest of the 3 days but by no means an easy one. Heavy overnight rain had made the muddy conditions even worse and some parts of the route very tricky to walk across.
After slipping and sliding my way through the first half of the day my legs, already beaten-up after yesterday, vere in tatters. As we moved away from the Thames at Goring things did get noticably better, as did our pace - not to get carried away though, today was slow. Over 14 minutes per miles is, I guess, understandable but with a 20 hour finish target it'going to be tight tomorrow.
Whatever happens though, I can have no regrets, this is a huge achievement and the pain I've put myself through in the last few days has only added to that opinion. Yes, training could have been better. Yes, my illness in the last week was not ideal. Yes, the conditions underfoot could have been easier. In context though, when I cross the finish tomorrow, and I will even if I'm in a coffin, I will have surpassed any other running achievement in my life. These 3 days are my 3 longest runs, back to back and off-road - in my eyes that is pretty special.
Just found out we're on the 7am start, that'll mean we have to be ready to leave at 6:30am - that's just not humane!

No comments:

Post a Comment