Sunday 11 November 2012

The Druid Challenge - 84 miles

An amazing end to an amazing 3 days.
I am definitely not a morning person, so a 7am start was not the perfect way to begin a long day running - leaving the overnight accomodation at 6:30am made things even worse. Fortunately, I don't think my battered body knew what was happening and we made excellent early progress.
As the darkness lifted and the sun burnt it's way through the miles just kept coming and then going. After the struggles of yesterday it was so nice to feel strong and even, though my legs finally worked-out what was occuring, the half-way was done.
Stubborness is not always my best quality but today it kept me going. With the last checkpoint behind us and my knee adding to the list of ailing body parts, time to grit my teeth and get on with it.
A warm welcome waited as we crossed the finish 6 hours 15 mins after starting, a total of just over 19 hours of running since departing Ivinghoe 2 days ago.
A genuinely exhausting and elating experience that I am so pleased to have been involved in.
The time and effort of my fellow competitors and the fantastic organisers made it so much more than just an ultra event - thanks and congratulations also to Suzy for her amazing efforts.
I imagine when I've recovered in a couple of days time I'll be able to fully comprehend what has just happened.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment