Saturday 21 September 2013

Älmhult to Oslo

Yesterday was my first train day, just under 9 hours from Älmhult to Oslo.
After a lazy morning I had to catch my first train at 13:10, In my usual fashion I left it to the last minute - getting in a bit running pratice on my way to the station. Sadly, the Swedish rail network did not show the same urgency and was completely static for 40 minutes, my time between transfers at Linköping was only 10 minutes. I left knowing that my chances of making the next train were bleak but I was no better where I was so I took the train regardless.
As the journey continued the obvious became more certain and there was no chance I was going to make the next train to Katrineholm, I checked and there was no other train onwards to Oslo until the next morning - shit!
This is where my luck changed and I was told that the train would make an extra un-scheduled stop at Katrineholm and we should make it in time for the onward train to Oslo - we did by seconds, thankfully the other train was a couple of minutes late.
Thanks to Swedish rail, I was bound for Oslo and there were no more transfers to contend with, more suprising I was on the exact train I was meant to be on. Drama over, I could sit back and enjoy the journey and what a beautiful part of the world.
At 21:45 we arrived in Oslo in the dark of the Scandivanian night and desperately in need of my hotel and and bed to put this crazy day behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment