Friday 27 September 2013

Malung & Gnupen

The main plan for today was to go to Gnupen, a sheer rockface with amazing views across the region. It was a place I had read about before coming to Sweden but wasn't quite how to get there - too far to walk and a long wsy off the bus routes.
I had mention this to Anna and whilst at dinner with her parents, it had been suggested thst we all go. I was instructed to be at Malung for 16:30 and we would go from there. This meant I had most of a day to kill, so I headed to Malung to have a look around. The town of Malung is pretty small so after a quick lap I decided to get out of the place, there was a hill above the town called Bjäsen and a footpath to the top - decision made.
It was a leisurely couple of hours to the top, apart from a really cold wind, pretty pleasant - although I did discover that my walking shoes are not a waterproof as I thought. It was a good view of the town but time was moving on and I had to get back to town.
I was back and ready when 16:30 came, Anna, her parents, a friend called Jens (a bit of a joker and seasoned story-teller) and myself got in the truck and headed for Gnupen. The drive must have taken about 30 mins along so pretty crude roads and when we arrived there was nothing to suggest the place was spactacular at all - I feared a horrible anti-climax.
It was a 2.8km walk (it is highly likely they guessed that number, it certainly seemed a good amount further) and for the most-part steady uphill. Eventually the first signs of our height become apparent and shortly after the full extent was there to be seen. I have no idea how far the rockface drops but it is a bloody long way and the views because of this are stunning. Bathed in late afternoon sunlight the place was just beautiful and the landscspe below us stretched out for miles. 
Dusk was not far away so we had time to crack open the Thermos, have a coffee and start the optistic 2.8km walk back.
I have been to some pretty great places on my travels around Europe, this is definitely one of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment