Wednesday 25 September 2013

Yttermalung

I'm not travelling now until friday so a chance to have a bit of leisurely exploring of this sparcely populated area. Malung is the closest town to here, 20mins on bus, and the nearest train station is Borlangë, 90 mins on bus. Lots of hills and forest to walk, armed with a map and my hiking I headed towards the trees.
It is easy to forgrt what a luxuary an Ordnance Survey map is, the questionable accuracy of the map and disappearing markers ultimately meant I was not able to follow my intended route but I had 6 hours of wandering so I wasn't paticularly bothered.
Anna, my most gracious host, and I had been invited round to her parents for dinner in the evening, before going there was just enough time to pop the the local church for choir practice. To be clear, I did not take part in choir practice, they just did a bit of a show - only able to stay for a few songs but they were very good. No idea what they were singing but really nice harmonies and then out of the blue, 'Ebony and Ivory' - just two blokes and a piano (both white, not sure if that ruins the significance of the song or not!).
Anyway off to dinner, traditional salted pork in white sauce with potatoes - absolutely marvellous!
Then, out of the blue, a cup of tea and "would you like honey in that?". Fear not I am an Englishman and in foreign cultures acted as such, "is that normal?" - apparently more so than in England. This is where I will probably find out that I am the only person on earth who doesn't know about honey and tea.
I am lucky to be in the situation where I can enjoy the real aspects of this country as opposed to those diluted experiences offered by hotels, don't get me wrong those are great but being in someone's  home is just very different.
Anyway, dinner was done and back to the house for an early night, can do the hours like I used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment