Sunday 7 August 2011

Day 4: 46km travelled

Apologies for the ongoing lack of communications, you wouldn't believe that someone could have so much trouble sending messages in this modern era!

Second Day Syndrome (I'm not sure if I've read that somewhere, if not I've created a new medical condition) :
After the euphoria and adrenaline of starting a new challenge, day 2 presents both a mental and physical hang-over.
The physical is purely over-enthusiasm, covering a few more miles than you should because you're so pumped-up.
The mental is because the reality of the situation is that despite everything around you, ultimately you have got to drag your aching body a hell of a long way and it's got a dead-weight strapped to it.

Please don't get me wrong, I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be at this moment in time. After any good night out you expect a hangover, today is my hangover, my Second Day Syndrome.
So where exactly am I? At a mountain hut called tjakja (that's pronounced Tyucta to us simple English folk), it's 1020 metres above sea-level (higher than most of Britain's mountains) and is just over half way through the main part of my walk.
Today has yet again been incredibly sunny and until the afternoon when the wind picked-up, very hot. The scenery was not as varied as yesterday and most of it was spent following the river through the valley floor - do bare in mind that this a valley at 800 metres and there are peaks up to 1000 metres higher all around you!
The Alesjaure mountain hut was a particular treat, selling cold drinks and a view that went on, seemingly forever, in both directions. I also had the particular pleasure of chatting to a really nice German guy (much more mental than me!) and a couple of Swedish ladies (to all those who aren't aware Swedish women are very attractive, very attractive!)
Hopefully it will get dark enough for me to get some sleep, it's 10:45pm and I'm sitting in my tent typing this without needing a torch or light. Tomorrow is the high point of the walk the Tjackta pass, 1140 m (only 200m less than Ben Nevis), thankfully then it's downhill and one would hope slightly easier!
Good night, I hope this reaches you at some point.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment