Sunday 7 August 2011

Day 5: 70km travelled

Sorry still no reception!

What a crazy afternoon and evening it's been. After leaving the Tjakja pass I was able to make really good progress and the next mountain hut on the route, Salka, was only 8km further on. I arrived at Salka just before 4pm. I should probably mention at this point that yesterday I discovered that over 2000 competitors were taking part in a race in the exact opposite direction to me, there departures are split over 3 days; yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Anyway, by the time I had arrived at Salka I had seen quite a lot of competitors and when I got there I was greeted by over 50 more. I left after a short break and proceeded to meet more and more group, there is not a road 40 km at least and I was seeing groups of 2 or 3 hikers every couple of minutes - walk in the wilderness?
This in it's own way was no problem, almost all were happy and said 'hi', but a short while after leaving Salka the rain started. It was 12km to Sinhi, the destination I had now planned, and for 2 hours I walked in a heavy drizzle. Then the heavens opened, I must at least be grateful as I was less than 1km from an emergency shelter, I sought refuge from the downpour for an hour alongside may of the racers. The fortunate thing is that there was absolutely no shelter for a good 6km in either direction, I have not even seen a tree for over 2 days. I met some charming and genuinely kind people whilst and there does seem to be a real kinship between hikers - especially when it's raining!

Dogs with backpacks!! Never thought I'd see that but it's true, they're actually more like bicycle panniers - that has to be my moment of the day.

I'm now camped just outside Sinhi as it would seem that countless competitors had the same idea to stay there and there was no space, it also started raining again just before my arrival. After sheltering in the camp for about 40 mins I decided to leave and hope the rain would relent long enough to find a spot a pitch for the night - it didn't. At about 10pm this evening a rather tired, sodden mess finally fell into his tent with fingers crossed that tomorrow is better.
I should at least have a phone signal tomorrow - hopefully!!!

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment