Friday 7 September 2012

TMB - Day 1: Les Houches

After a very early start this morning, by 11:30am I was already in my 3rd country of the day, I find myself in the beautiful village of Les Houches. Located in the Chamonix valley at the foot of the Alps it is a genuinely spectacular place, only now that I'm here do I have a real gauge of the challenge ahead - these mountains are huge. When I found out the other day that the higher peaks along the TMB are nearly twice the height of Ben Nevis it isn't hard to realise that it's going to be tough but seeing these monsters in real life is different, very different and if I'm honest pretty terrifying.
Since arriving around lunch time it's been a very sedate day, set up camp, have a wander round the village to find the actual TMB route ready for tomorrow and then late lunch and a siesta. A local cat decided that I didn't want the ham I'd bought for lunch and while I was sleeping waltzed off with it.
It has been just the most relaxing day and with glorious sun all day, temperatures around 25 degrees, the perfect tonic before I set about the huge climbs in the morning.
The weather reports are now suggesting decreased chance of rain and clearer skies which, if they're right, is a massive boost.
Should be quite an early start tomorrow, 24km to cover and mostly uphill, in addition there a couple of big peaks to summit - if it goes well it'll really settle my nerves and fill me with, if it goes badly well that just isn't going to happen. Confidence not complacency!
Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment