Thursday 13 September 2012

TMB - Day 7: nr. Rifugio Bonatti (85km)

Wow, wow, wow, the Grand Col Ferret. I came so close to bottling-out of this, after yesterdays weather and the forecast of snow at the top combined with sub-xero temperatures I really didn't fancy this climb. I've been up plenty of lesser climbs and been scared to death by sheer cliffs and this one has snow on it, to make matters worse for the past 2 nights I've had dreams which involved me falling of mountain ledges - the joy of vertigo! The truth of it is that there were no precarious cliffs or dodgy mountain passes just the most stunning scenery I can recall, it is such an amazing place and I'm so pleased I had the guts to do it. I've lucky enough to see some spectacular things up here so far but this eclipses the rest hands-down. I should also mention that it is impossible to do justice to something like this with a camera, even more difficult when the camera in question (already fixed once) dies again! A Russian camera that fails in cold weather, am I the first person to see the obvious design-flaw in that! Luckily I was still able to capture some images although it was such a strong wind at the peak it was barely possible to stand up let along take pictures. The path down from the Col leads down into the Ferret Valley and Italian soil for the first time. It is on the east side of the valley at 2000m where I am now camped - back to wild-camping, all luxuries are gone again. Tent temperature is currently 3 degrees but it'll be worth it for the view I wake up to tomorrow morning :)

1 comment:

  1. congratulation , look fantastic seems to be worth the effort , hope you have a good night , not to cold safe trip down. Love Mum & Dad

    ReplyDelete