Saturday 15 September 2012

TMB - Day 9: Chamonix

Although not complete my Tour Du Mont Blanc is over, what an absolute roller-coaster of emotions it has been - any one reading this blog has read a considerablely toned down version of those emotions.
Now I can look at things retrospectively there is only one real regret and that is that initially I only allowed 9 days to complete the walk, has I allowed 10 days I may have completed the entire route - although having lost an entire day because of the weather even that may not have been enough.
I can say without any doubt that the moment of the trip was the summit of Grand Col Ferret, a genuinely beautiful place but combined with a massive release of built-up emotion.
As I tried to sleep last night I was trying decide which of the 3 countries I've visited on this trip was my favourite, it was close between France and Switzerland but the Swiss just have it - if Courmayeur had a campsite the Italians may have stolen it because Val Ferret is sensational pretty, the feedback on the Facebook photo from my tent suggests that I am not the only person to agree with that sentiment.
After my dodgy campsite last night it was early up and out this morning, to my suprise today is the 50th anniversary of the Mont Blanc tunnel and as a result my bus ticket to Chamonix was free.
I had to kill 3 hours in Chamonix before my train departed for annecy, my home for the next 2 nights. Chamonix is a really nice, surrounded on both sides by the mountains but also really well architected and elegant place. I'm guessing that it's an expensive place to live, the lunch I bought certainly was not cheap.
I am presently on the train to Annecy and should be arriving soon, I shall continue to update if anything exciting happens.
Here's another picture, not sure which one just yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment